Join The Refugee Project - volunteering with a cause!
CVS - Bulgaria and Caritas Sofia are looking for VOLUNTEERS to work with kids, teenagers and adults as part of the Refugee Project in the reception centres in Ovcha Kupel, Voenna Rampa and Vrazhdebna at the State Agency for Refugees.
Every four months the Refugee Project recruits new volunteers and the time has come to start our activities again. Volunteers engage in the preparation and implementation of educational activities for children and adults seeking international protection in Bulgaria in the following topics: Bulgarian and cultural orientation, English, Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Art, Music, Sport, extracurricular activities and visiting natural and historical landmarks.
As a volunteer in the project you have an active role in the adaptation of the children, teenagers and adults who are in the reception centres for asylum seekers on the territory of Sofia, to the Bulgarian environment as a whole and in particular to the educational system in the country. You will actively support the project by participating in thematic interest groups, including fundraising and excursions committees.
• Leading activities in: Bulgarian language and orientation, English language*, Mathematics, Art, Sports, etc.
• Engaging and maintaining the interest of children, young people and adults who attend the classes;
• Planning and organising training sessions/ activities as part of a small team
• Participation in organising and conducting extra-curricular activities: excursions, participation in events and tournaments, visits to museums, theatres, cinemas, etc.
• Organising and managing fundraising and awareness-raising events
• Morning or afternoon on weekdays
• At least one session per week on a set day convenient for you (or more if you are willing);
• 2+ hours per week, depending on your availability.
* Knowledge of English is not mandatory for all candidates but only for those who would like to join the English teaching group.
• Over 18 years of age;
• Willingness and skills to work with children, young people and adults in a multicultural environment;
• Adherence to the ethical principles for working with vulnerable groups set out in the agreement between the volunteer and the "Refugee Project"
• Responsibility and ability to work independently after initial training and mentoring from the project coordinators;
• Interest in different cultures;
• Ability to carry out the tasks within the specified deadlines;
• Ability to work with other volunteers to plan and implement training sessions/ activities;
• Experience in working with children is an asset, as well as education in the field of social work and/or pedagogy;
• Knowledge of Arabic and /or Farsi would be useful; Other languages are a plus.
Duration: 18 March, 2019 - July 31, 2019, with interest and satisfaction on both sides, the duration of work may be extended.
- on 16t and 23 March holding training sessions - two-day training
- 18 March – scheduled start of the activities.
• Ovcha Kupel: Integration Center at SAR (21A, Montevideo Street)
• Voenna Rampa: (11, Lokomotiv Street)
• Vrazhdebna: (270, Botevgradsko shose Blvd.)
• General information on countries of origin, EU and national legal practices and procedures;
• Detailed overview of the project and its activities;
• Information on other organisations operating in reception centers;
• Instruction on the specifics of working with children, young people and adults seeking or having received international protection by specialists from SAR / BRC / UNHCR /IOM/ Professors, etc;
• Introducing non-formal education and offering examples of working with children, young people and adults;
• Empathy, professional boundaries and prevention of the burnout syndrome;
• Training for the rights and obligations of volunteers;
• Intercultural communication, acquaintance with different cultures;
• Acquiring experience in working with children, young people and adults seeking international protection;
• Experience in planning and conducting educational, creative and sports activities;
• Acquiring skills for raising funds and organizing information events;
• Certificate from CVS-Bulgaria and Caritas Sofia in Bulgarian and English;
• Personal satisfaction.
Mentoring and assessment:
• You will be mentored and assisted in your work by project coordinators and experienced volunteers who continue in the project;
• The contact persons will be the project coordinators; you will have a mentor who is a professional teacher;
• Periodic trainings; interim and final evaluation of the project.
Deadline for applications: 7 March 2019.